- Diameter of Mars:
- Equatoral diameter is about 4,222 miles (6,794 km).
- Polar diameter is about 4,170 miles (6,711 km).
- Distance from the sun:
- Mean (average) is 141,600,000 miles (227.9 million km).
- Maximum is 154,900,000 miles (249,300,000 km).
- Minimum is 128,400,000 miles (206,600,000 km).
- Temperature ranges -197°F to 72°F.
- Average temperature is -13°F (-25°:C)
- Mars has two moons:
- Phobos ("fear")
is about 12 miles (19 km) by about 17 miles (27km).
- Orbit is at about 3700 miles (6000 km) above the planet surface.
- Revolution is once every 7.5 hours.
- Deimos ("terror")
is about 6 miles (10 km) by about 10 miles (16 km).
- Orbit is about 12,500 miles (20,100 km) above the planet surface.
- Revolution is once every 30.25 hours.
- Rotation takes 24 hours 37 minutes.
- Revolution takes 687 days (1 year, 321.73 days).
- Reddish in color when seen in the night sky.
- Tilted on axis at about 25°.
- Surface gravity is 0.38g, or about 38% that of earth.
- Density is 3.90 times that of water.
- Iron oxides, or rust, in the Martian soil give the planet its reddish hue and its nickname, "the Red Planet."
- For Pathfinder mission updates, visit either of these mirror site links: